You have a web site but having trouble getting web traffic to your site. Below are some SEO tips to help drive more traffic to your website. I just want to state, do not expect SEO to work in a matter of days or weeks. It will take months!
SEO must have tools
- If your site is a WordPress site, download the Yoast SEO plugin and have a good web caching plugin like W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache.
- Have Google Analytics installed and make sure the Analytics are tied into Google Search Console so you can view what keywords users are typing in to get to your web site. You can use those keywords to improve the SEO on your website.
- With the Yoast SEO plugin, it will produce an XML sitemap, make sure the Sitemap URL is added to Google Search Console. Doing this will tell google what web pages you have on your site to be indexed and what new pages have been added to be indexed.
- Web Hosting: View your Google Analytics to see how many visitors you are getting a month. If you have anything below 10,000 a month in visitors, a cheap web hosting account can be used, but once you get over 10,000 a month, look for the high-end shared hosting plan. If you have a site that has over 60,000 visitors a month look for a VPS hosting account. I have a website I run with 30,000 – 45,000 visits a month in web traffic on a high-end shared hosting plan and the site has been running perfectly. I use SiteGround as my hosting provider and that is the hosting company I recommend.
SEO Tips and Tricks
- Content is king. Have original content, write it yourself, do not copy and paste!
- If you are using the Yoast SEO plugin, then you have the basics needed to start your SEO journey.
- Title Tag: Make sure your keyword is in the title tag, I would recommend a long-tail keyword which is a string of about 3-4 words to use as a keyword in your title tag. Ex. You would not target ‘furniture’ as your keyword, I would recommend using ‘‘Antique love seat for sale’
- Mention the keyword no more than 2-3 times in your content.
- Have the keyword mentioned in your meta description.
- Us On-Page SEO and hyperlink any keywords in your content that reference other web pages on your website.
- I use Ubbersuggest as my free keyword tool to find out how much web traffic a certain keyword is getting.
- For Off-Page SEO have social media accounts setup and post any article you write. I would recommend Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tumblr. These posts will create backlinks to your website which helps your page get found and will give it some page authority on your keyword.
Remember, SEO will take time. Give it a good 3-6 months for your web pages to be indexed and ranked. Write original content, post 2-3 times a week and Google, Yahoo, MSN search engines will love your site and scan it often. On my own NHL trade rumors website, I post once a day and my web page is indexed and getting web traffic within 5 minutes of posting the article.